Red beet juice has numerous properties and nutritional values, so it is absolutely worth drinking regularly. Beetroot juice is a proven way to make losing weight easier. It will also help with anaemia and relieve hangover symptoms. What can we find in beet juice? What are the contraindications to its use?
Beet juice - how to drink it?
Beet juice has an earthy taste. It can be neutralized by adding celery, apple, carrot, orange juice or ginger. Beet juice can be enriched by adding spices such as salt, pepper, dill and parsley.
Beet juice - health properties
- lowers blood pressure, affects both systolic and diastolic blood one. These properties of beetroot juice are due to the presence of natural nitrates, which are converted into nitric oxide in the body
- due to the presence of nitrates, it may also have a beneficial effect in delaying or preventing dementia. Nitrates are supposed to increase blood flow in the frontal lobes of the brain
- due to the presence of betalain, it has antioxidant properties and sweeps free radicals
- thanks to the small number of calories and high content of nutrients, beetroot juice is a perfect addition to the diet of people who are slimming
The health benefits of beetroot juice are due to its high content of iron, potassium, copper and folic acid. Moreover, beetroot juice is a source of antioxidants - betalain.
Benefits of betalain
- lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood, reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease
- it has anti-inflammatory properties and helps fight inflammation in the body
- thanks to the content of vitamin C, it accelerates wound healing and is involved in the formation of collagen
- thanks to the iron content, it prevents anaemia
- protects the liver against the effects of toxins
Beet juice - contraindications
People with health problems and taking medications (including those suffering from high blood pressure) should consult a doctor if they wish to consume beetroot juice regularly.
Beet juice is rich in oxalates, so people with kidney stones or those with a history of kidney stones should avoid it. Oxalates are also dangerous for people with gout.
Beetroot juice should be carefully consumed by people with low blood pressure - drinking the juice regularly can lead to hypotension.
Beet juice - how to buy a good quality one?
Good quality beetroot juice can be purchased from health food stores and health food sections of supermarkets. It is best to choose one-day juices, which are most often made of fresh beetroot. For the production of pasteurized juices, concentrated beetroot juice or beet puree is used.
It is also worth paying attention to the source of the beet used for the production of juice (preferably if it comes from organic farming) and to the juice composition given on the label (prepared from beetroot, with no added sugar or preservatives).