N-acetyl-1-cysteine is a dietary supplement that plays an important role in the world of athletes. It is usually used to significantly improve the regenerative capacity, immunity, and to help maintain a healthy digestive system. Many people are underappreciated, and people using NAC supplements praise their effectiveness.
The active substance
The supplements are cysteine, which has been subjected to acetylation. Cysteine belongs to the group of sulphur amino acids, which in the human body perform a number of functions. It belongs to endogenous amino acids with a strong reactive effect. Cysteine in combination with glutamine and glycine is involved in the synthesis of glutathione. It also includes the skeletal muscle or bones, which gives it the building block title.
Action and biological role
The main biological effect of acetylated cysteine is to stimulate the synthesis of glutathione in the body, which exhibits strong antioxidant properties. Moreover, it has a strong detoxifying action, neutralizing toxins, regenerating. In addition, cysteine helps to build the skin, hair and nails, being a great addition to women’s diet.
A number of scientific studies additionally exhibit properties such as:
- Optimizing energy expenditure in the body.
- reducing the effects of oxidative stress,
- support for the treatment of colds and flu,
- supporting the fight against lung diseases,
- Support the function of the liver and stimulate its cells to regenerate,
- normalization of lipid levels as well as lowering of triglycerides,
- assisted excretion of heavy metals,
- protection against genetic mutations,
- acceleration of postprandial regeneration, support of protein restoration.
Description of the supplement
In sports supplementation, NAC usually appears in capsule form, where the amount of active ingredient varies from 400 to 800 mg in the capsule.
We can also find it in powder version, but it’s important to note that it’s acidic and has a specific odour that characterizes the substances subjected to acetylation. The colour of the powder is white and the texture is slightly sugary, with very hygroscopic properties.
How to dose and combine it?
Daily dose of NAC is about 2g.
This amount is considered to be effective, coping well with most of the problems that you can support.
As far as possible with other supplements, the issue is about what level we want our body to support. NAC is a fairly universal supplement and its activity supports many of our body's systems, hence the choice of the remaining supplementation will depend on our area of interest.
What can we expect from this supplement?
N-acetyl-1-cysteine supplementation is primarily a pro-health support that we are unable to observe in a tangible way. However, many people attribute it to actions such as:
- Improve recovery after training, faster opportunities for more activity,
- improved skin and nails appearance,
- faster wound healing and more effective fight against infections,
- boosting the immune system, harder to get sick and catch an infections,
- general improvement of wellbeing.