Do you think it is possible to get all the nutrients you need from your diet? Unless your diet is 100% perfect and you optimum digestion, my answer would be no. Most individuals take better care of their cars than their bodies!
In my experience and observations as working as a nutritional therapist I have seen my clients and many men and women improve their health complaints significantly quicker whilst taking supplements. These range from all different types of nutraceuticals from antioxidant vitamins, minerals, herbs and superfoods. Many do make changes to their diet which is key for good health and in interim boosting the body with remedies also helps. You may be thinking, hmm which ones do I choose? Especially as there are numerous vitamins and minerals on the market today. Thankfully Muscle-zone’s store has a range of top quality supplements and practitioner brands such as Now Foods, Sources Natural, Jarrow, Life Extension and Kirkman to name but a few of the best brands today. The levels of nutrients are in absorbable forms without excipients. These better quality supplements are not expensive, if not the same price or a few pounds that actually your body utilises. Also they are not all tablet forms you can take capsules, chewables, sprays and liquids.
So the answer to the simple question of to supplement or not is. Yes do take supplements and some reasons why are below.
Reasons to Supplement?
- The soils, especially in the UK are depleted due to industrial farming methods and leeching of minerals. Hence why our food is also lower in vitamin C, selenium, zinc and other trace minerals. 60 years ago before the introduction of fertilisers and pesticides, food was more organic and natural then it is today. It was grown and eaten locally and seasonally. Not flown over from the other side of the world and ripened on the way!
- Are you really having a healthy diet? Think about it.. how many vegetables do you consume in your diet? Count them? How much fruit do you eat?
- Where are you getting the antioxidants that prevent and delay diseases from? What are you eating?
- How fresh fresh is your food? Is it stored, processed, and then how is it cooked? How much nutrients have you lost my heating it up?
- What is the state of your hair, skin, nails like? Are they healthy, is your hair thinning? It’s probable that your body needs the nutrients first which means hair, skin and nails wait to grow as they are not getting the nutrients they need.
- What is your digestion like? If you experience any bowel issues and gut imbalances then you’re unlikely to be absorbing nutrients from you the foods you eat. So you chew your food or wolf it down?
- How much stress do you have in your life? If you have stress daily then this will zap your nutrients too
- Caffeine: teas, coffee, alcohol, smoking all deplete nutrients
- Medication- oh yes. The GP’s and pharma industry don’t tell you this. But drugs can deplete: vitamin C, B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and Co-Q10 levels.
Article by Sonal Shah. Sonal is a nutritional therapist and director of Synergy Nutrition®.